SharePoint Home Page

Background & Problem:

In 2017 three organizations came under one umbrella during a reorganization.

Since the organizations merged, leadership wanted SharePoint's home page revamped. The older home page didn't explain clearly what all the icons and organizations were about and how they related. It was not only confusing for older emloyees, but to newer ones as well.

The document repository platform was full of uncategorized and outdated documents; it resulted in a lot of user frustrations. Most complaints centered around not being able to find documents they need, stumbling onto outdated documents from 2+ years ago, and a lot of draft/unfinalized documents.

My Job:

Since cleaning up documents within SharePoint is a year's worth of effort, in intrim, stakeholders wanted my team (of five people) and I to redo SharePoint's homepage. I knew this was a great opportunity to help make the daily lives of users a bit better.

My job included page structure (how things are placed), code the html/css, and typography.

Duration: 2 months (August 2017 – September 2017)

Limitations:

SharePoint is a document repository platform created by Microsoft, so there were things that cannot be changed without impacting other pages. In addition the team only had one developer.

UX Skills:

Requirements gathering, HTML, CSS, UX research, sketching, prototyping

Tools:

Paper, pencil, whiteboard, Axure RP, Sublime Text

Sketches:

Prototype:

User Feedback & Reiteration:

Ten users were recruited to provide feedback. Seven users wanted to include four other topics that would help them with their day to day life. Majority of the users wanted a brief information about what the platform was for and what can be done with it. Some of the users did not know that they had to scroll down for more information because it was under the fold, so we had to adjust the amount of text and height of certain items to make the second half of the page more visible to encourage scrolling.

Final Product:

The home page was transformed into a page that lead people to updated and final documents, other page sources relevant to their needs such as training, and team pages. It helped ease the pain of having to find information. The home page recieved positive feedback from 90% of users.

The aftermath:

What I learned was that it is very hard to fulfill all of the user's and stakeholder's needs, but as long as we address the most common concerns, additional changes can be made in the future when we have more resources available.

If I were to re-do this again, I would replace the carousel banner with three static images that inform people about each organization and how they all interact with each other.

Portfolio Projects: